Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Basement Before and After!

Good morning! I am so excited to share with you my basement photos! It is not totally done, but getting close! It was tough taking pictures down there....I definitely need to work on my home photography skills! ; )   I hope the pictures do it justice.  We started with knotty pine...ugly. Dated. Dark. Gloomy.  After the repairs were made to my drain tile and Permaseal repaired the crack in the foundation, we decided to paint the knotty pine.  My husband was dead set against it at first.  I believe he called me "crazy." and "How could you want to paint knotty pine?" and, " Do you know how expensive that was back then?"  Um yea. I can paint it because it's Ugly with a capital U.  And yes, honey, it was expensive BACK THEN! Welcome to 2012.  What finally convinced him you may ask?  My hero......Pinterest!  I showed him all the before and after photos...and he finally caved.  (Thank goodness he came to his senses!)  So we cleared all the crap clutter and got busy painting.  Okay....we didn't actually paint, we hired someone to do it.  ; )


 So this first set of pics is Brian's work area.  You can see all the crap clutter that we had.  And the part of the wall that had to be taken down.  And of course the new desk, white walls.....

This next area was Kyle's gaming/LEGO area.  And now the more updated version with track lighting and a brand new painting on the wall.  So much cleaner! 
This was our couch/TV area with an attempt at a gallery wall. My new gallery wall uses track lighting and photo ledges to ensure that my photos are always straight.  I converted all of my photos to black and white and spray painted a few frames and mattes in lime green.  It really pops against the white walls!

Here is a close up of my gallery.  

Here is our fireplace and TV area.  The fireplace seems to stand out more now with the white walls.  I love all the shades of green and such. 


Here are a few of my decorative items.....
My window coverings are being made by my very sweet MIL out of burlap.  I am loving how they are coming out!
I hope the pics were clear enough and do the basement justice.  It is such a cozy, warm, and inviting space now and am so glad that Pinterest was able to sway Brian into seeing my vision for the room!
Have a great day!!!

25 comments:

Libby Hickson said...

WOW Michele, this transformation is amazing!! It looks absolutely beautiful. How exciting for you!

Life and Knits said...

It turned out great! Beautiful transformation Michele. You're going to love your new space. It looks very inviting.

Susie

Cindy Coutts @ Cindy B Designs said...

Gorgeous Michelle! I have the same Christopher Lowell Shore Collection in my crafty space too!

Patti J said...

So beautiful! You will all enjoy this 'new' space! Love all of your ideas, especially the photo ledges. Great way to show off your cherished photos! Thanks for sharing :)

snappy scrappy said...

Unbelievable...it's amazing how paint can totally update and change a space. Love it!! Lee-Ann :)

Unknown said...

your basement looks AMAZING!!! The before and after photos really show the transformation - great job!!

DeeDee said...

WOW! This turned out really awesome Michele! I know yall will love being down there and enjoying the new view! :)

JenMarie said...

OMGoodness...WOW! Looks amazing!

Vicki Wizniuk said...

Wow, it always surprises me how much paint can transform a room! Can you let me know where you found that white desk with the wooden surface? Love it and I am currently looking for something like that.

Debby said...

Your room looks great. We had paneling in our entire downstairs......we live in a bi-level. We painted it a couple years ago. What a difference it makes. Beautiful.

Jingle said...

What a fabulous transformation! This looks great!

Regina said...

Wow, the room is amazing! Love how everything stands out now and you can appreciate all the beautiful colors. Great job!

Ruth G said...

Yeah to Pinterest and yippee to you for such a wonderful transformation!!! I think the photos show a huge improvement! Everything looks so much more bright and cheery!

Diane Hodrick said...

How Cow, Batman! Capital U just turned into Capital B or maybe Capital G or Capital F...either way...beautiful, gorgeous, and fabulous don't even do it justice. Wow!

Kellie Fortin said...

Love your Knotty Pine Makeover--- My old store front was orrignally Knotty Pine and we painted it all white when we moved in!! Huge difference -- from dreary to heavenly!! I know you will love your new basement. Love how much eaiser Pinterest has made it to prove to Hubby's how great a make over will look!! Thanks for sharing the befor and after photos.

Amy E said...

WOW!! Your after pics look like something you would see in Better Homes and Gardens!! SPECTACULAR!!!

Freda said...

Your basement turned out fantastic....glad to see my hubby isn't the only man with blinders when it comes to changing the house around...lol

Those photo ledges might just do the trick for what I'm thinking of doing to my gallery wall. I like to change pictures up once in a while and it's difficult with them hung from the wall...thanks for the inspiration.

Mary said...

WOW. Great job, everything looks so fresh and bright. What a fun place to play and work.

Works From The Attic by Linda said...

I hope your husband reads this! The transformation is amazing. Thank you for helping ME! I have a studio that is the fourth floor of the house. It is all knotty pine paneling and honestly, I hate to go there! I don't feel creative when I am there because I feel closed in. I have toyed in my mind with painting it white but...oh...to do away with knotty pine??? SO, your transformation has helped me decide to paint it! Your basement is beautiful and alive! No more doom and gloom, it is bright, welcoming and inviting. you should be proud and I hope hubby is happy too.
~Linda

vdoyle8 said...

WOW!!! What an amazing update!! What a difference paint makes - your room looks fabulous!
I especially love the photo ledges - great idea!!

Amy Johnson said...

Wow! What a huge improvement! And you added so much more value to your house now too! Just love it!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Amazing transformation!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Debra said...

Holy! Thanks for sharing as those are pretty impressive pictures! Much easier to paint the walls than tearing out and drywalling! And how nice and fresh and clean it looks! Great job!

Debbie O'Neal said...

WOW...what a transformation ! Welcome to 2012....you totally nailed it...you will now be an inspiration on Pinterest too I am sure. Enjoy the new space. it is lovely!

reeree62 said...

WOW!!!! Such a dramatic change, for the better! It is just gorgeous...you must be thrilled. So much less cluttered, bright and open. Great job! Can't wait to see the curtains :o)